On Castles, Ruined Castles and Palaces
This website is all about castles, ruined castles and palaces. Chose a place from the list below to see details and photos about it. Or simply browse the picture gallery.
Feel free to use the contact form in case of questions or suggestions.
Enjoy your stay at OnCastles.com.
You host, Michael.
Next month, we’re going to take a look at castle Mindelburg in Germany.
Subscribe to my newsletter, so you don’t miss it!
- Castle RunkelsteinFrom a medieval fortification to a pompously furnished summer residence. From to an arms arsenal to a tourist magnet: Castle Runkelstein had a turbulent past! Have a look at these 8 photos and see why it’s a must-see!
- Bachritterburg: A 13th century timber castleTimber castles are rare. Very rare! Don’t miss Bachritterburg Kanzach, a 13th century timber castle reconstructed based on historical records.
- DubrovnikThe cradle of freedom: Dubrovnik, and how it rose from a refugee settlement to the first state that abolished slavery to one of the first states that recognized the United States of America as an independent nation.
- Castle SigmaringenWhat does a bathhouse sex party and the thirty years’ war have in common? Yes, we’re talking about Castle Sigmaringen, but you’ll never guess it! In case you’re curious, just read on.
- Rothenburg ob der TauberThis is the story of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, its former mayor Heinrich Toppler and how he made Rothenburg to one of the richest towns in the world.
- Castle Neuschwanstein and HohenschwangauHere are the details nobody tells you about the two castles Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Turns out there’s quite some irony connected to them.
- Himeji CastleOf all the dangers that threaten a castle over the centuries, Himeji castle survived three, that each by itself, is usually a certain death sentence.
- HohentwielHow to minimize costs while building the biggest castle in Germany? Count Ulrich of Württemberg had an idea that made Hohentwiel an impregnable fortress!
- Bad Urach: Residential Palace and Hohenurach Castle RuinsBad Urach: The rise and fall of a capital city. Including 8 pictures from the residential palace and Hohenurach castle.
- Windsor CastleFor more than 900 years the residence of the British monarchs: Windsor castle has some beautiful corners to discover, just have a look at these six pictures and see for yourself.
- The National Wallace MonumentWilliam Wallace was one of Scotland’s greatest national heroes. He got a pretty impressive monument erected in his honor. However, he paid a high price for it…
- Stirling CastleStirling Castle is one of the few monuments that combine a palace and a fortress. Have a look at these pictures and see for yourself why it’s worth a visit.
- The Atomic Bomb DomeA single nuclear device with an explosive power of 15 kilotons of TNT devastated Hiroshima on August 6th, 1945. The Atomic Bomb Dome withstood the blast and became a memorial of the biggest single event mass killing in history.
- Edinburgh CastleOne of the most besieged and attacked places in the world attracts more than two million visitors a year. See for yourself what makes Edinburgh Castle so special.
- The Tower of LondonAlmost a thousand years old and shrouded in legends. What used to be a castle and a prison serves nowadays as storage facility for the crown jewels…
- Castles on the romantic road part 1: Füssen to AugsburgNine photos of the castles at the romantic road between Füssen and Landsberg am Lech. See for yourself why it’s called the romantic road.
- Reutte Tyrol: Ehrenberg Castle, Fort Claudia and SchlosskopfReutte Tyrol: Three castle ruins and a rope bridge spanning a valley. Take a look at these 17 photos to see whats waiting for you.
- Craigmillar CastleTake a look at these 7 photos of Craigmillar Castle, one of Scotland’s best preserved medieval castle ruins.
- Mesocco CastleThe ruins of Mesocco Castle in Switzerland are worth a visit. Have a look at these six photos to see why.
- Sforza Castle MilanSforza Caste in Milan looks quite different than other medieval fortresses. Take a look at these seven photos and see for yourself.
- Castle Ruin at Feldkirch TostersThe castle ruin at Feldkirch Tosters is an insider tip. Tourists rarely find it – it’s just too well hidden. Here are seven photos to show you whats waiting.
- Meersburg CastleThe oldest inhabited castle in Germany comes with a mystery: Its exact age is unknown. Here are 12 pictures of one of the most beautifully decorated castles you can visit.
- Fortress HohensalzburgThe landmark of the Austrian city Salzburg is the largest completely preserved medieval castle in central Europe. Here are 10 photos and some details you won’t find in history books.
- Rastatt Residential PalaceThere are two Palaces in Rastatt. Here are 9 photos of the Residental Palace, which nowadays would cost you ~€264 millions to build!
- Rastatt Favorite PalaceThere are two palaces in Rastatt. This post is about the Favorite Palace, which is kind of a female pleasure castle. Take a look at the pictures, it’s worth it!
- Bruchsal PalaceBruchsal Palace is a a marvelous baroque masterpiece. Just have a look at these pictures and see for yourself.
- BudapestTake a look at these photos of castles and palaces in Budapest. Including the Fisherman’s Bastion, Vajdahunyad Castle and the Hungarian Parliament.
- StrasbourgUnbelievable: Strasbourg was one of the filthiest places in the 15th century. Nowadays it’s a world heritage site. Take a look and see what has changed.
- HohenneuffenIf you like castles you’ll love the ruined castle Hohenneuffen. Here are 10 pictures and some of the details nobody else will tell you.